Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Gordon..........Never Mind the Rhetoric, what about the Reality?

I am just back from a wild night out at Labour Party Conference...........Bournemouth is a strange mix of memories for me, mainly from my Unison days, but this was my initiation into the eclectic mix of new and old Labour which passes for a conference. I arrived in time to watch Gordon's speech in the exhibition hall. He did go on.............and on...........and on.......in the end rather than watching paint dry I decided I had time to watch nail varnish dry. I sat on the floor and painted my nails. But, it has to be said, there was little for me to disagree with, apart from the usual attack on civil liberties. My question was, so where is the money coming from then? Lots of costly promises, no promises of increased taxes, gotta come from somewhere - my guess it will yet again be down to cuts to the less sexy services, such as mental health services. Lets see.........the Tesco approach to government, buy one get one free but the supplier pays. So, hospitals - deep clean, but do it within your existing budget.

More later..............it is a bit late even for a night owl..................

No comments: