Thursday, July 24, 2008

Marching with the enemy?

As someone who often gets ticked off for being too pally with people from other parties, I have probably earned myself a few negative brownie points over the past couple of weeks. Regular readers will know that I often chat about the Tory Boys and I also value my friendship with our local Labour MP Patrick Hall and friends from Respect. Politics of course is important to me but it frankly isn't the only thing I care about and if I made a condition of friendship shared political views I'd be quite a lonely person!






So on Saturday I was at Chicksands at the Defence Intelligence and Security Centre for Intelligence Corps day. This is always an enjoyable event, Pimms on the lawn, lunch in the marquee (always a reminder, despite the fact that it is private contractors providing it now, of 1970's army food!) and an afternoon to look round the beautiful Chicksands Priory and visit the excellent Military Intelligence Museum. One of the guest's of honour was Sir Stanley Odell, erstwhile President of the local Tories. He is quite a character who I first got to know when I ran Bedford Boys Club some 16 years ago. Whenever we meet he likes to tell me he thinks I am in the wrong party (after all I look like a Tory (!)) but is also always disarmingly informed about what I am up to politically. Clearly has taken on board the army maxim "know your enemy".






Then on Monday, having interviewed Jo Swinson (more about that later), I met up with Patrick for dinner in The Adjournment at Portcullis. I have also known Patrick almost as long, he was a County Councillor when I worked in the Youth Service and was always a great supporter of our work, going out of his way, unlike others, to attend events and to encourage our young people. In fact, one of the deciding factors for me in not standing for PPC in Bedford was a fear that, being the fighter I am, I would find myself pulling my punches standing against a friend, although this has never meant I haven't challenged his party's policies on public platforms, or when chatting privately.

There are many examples in Westminster of close cross party friendships and I have to say I find it quite sad that some in our party disapprove so vociferously, for me it holds echoes of the sectarianism that has been so damaging in places like Northern Ireland. But, whilst such attitudes make me cross, they have absolutely no impact whatsoever on my behaviour. If those who display such attitudes think by doing so they will force me to change my wayward ways, they will be sadly disappointed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Apologies for posting this as a comment, but I couldn't find a contact form or email address.

This is just a quick note to let you know that your blog has been included as a Trusted Source on the Politigg news site.
http://www.politigg.co.uk

This means that Politigg will provide a direct link to every article you write, including a brief snippet to get readers interested.

Politigg aims to allow you access to the best political articles from across the web, as judged by other members. Many of the articles are gathered automatically from the extensive list of trusted sources, but users can also submit articles that they find interesting or useful. There are currently around 400 political websites monitored for new content:
http://www.politigg.co.uk/feeds.php

To get the most out of Politigg, I strongly advise you to read the one page Quick Start User Guide which covers all the main functions.
http://www.politigg.co.uk/html.php?id=guide

Suggestions for new blogs, news sites and political groups to include in the trusted sources list are most welcome.

If you would like to link to Politigg, there is a range of buttons and text links available here:
http://www.politigg.co.uk/html.php?id=links

Or, you can add a voting widget to each of your articles:
http://www.politigg.co.uk/html.php?id=widget

Cheers,

Anthony Butcher